More About Candlelighters for Children with Cancer
DID YOU KNOW?
Each day in the U.S., approximately 46 children are diagnosed with cancer
The median age of diagnosis is 6 years of age
Cancer is the leading cause of death in Americans under age 20
One in 330 children will develop cancer by age 20
15,780 children are diagnosed with cancer before the age of 19
On average the treatment for childhood cancer is 3 years
Candlelighters For Children with Cancer was founded as a 501(c)3 non-profit organization in 1977 by a group of parents who had children impacted by cancer. Through their shared experiences, they established an organization to support families from diagnosis through treatment and throughout the life long journey of pediatric cancer.
For nearly 40 years, Candlelighters has continued to help families throughout Oregon and SW Washington by providing a community of healing, hope and light throughout the life-long journey of childhood cancer.
Candlelighters has an office in Portland that serves the Portland-metro area and SW Washington and volunteer- driven chapters serving Central Oregon, Mid-Willamette Valley, and Southern Oregon.
Through the generosity and gifts of foundations, partners and donors, Candlelighters helps families by providing:
- Emergency Financial Assistance to as many as 200 families annually to help with recurring bills when a family is grappling with childhood cancer
- A weekend away from treatment through our annual Candlelighters Family Camp which gives 250+ people an opportunity to attend a fun-filled weekend
- Scholarships for up to 10 college age students who have battled or are battling cancer
- Hot-catered meals and snacks for as many as 2,000 people annually who have children in the hospital so they don’t have to leave their child’s bedside
- Peer support and networking though monthly family experiences and programs so families have camaraderie
- Funeral funds for families who experience the loss of a child.
And, THEY never charge families a dime — ever!
Forty years later, Candlelighters has supported nearly 80,000 family members through the crisis of childhood cancer. Through it all, they have developed family programming and services that transform lives throughout the life long journey of childhood cancer.